Saturday, December 8, 2007

Longest Wrong Number Conversation of my Life!

I had a wierd experience today.... Thought about sharing it with you guys so that you will be careful in the future!

I got a call at around 10:50 in the morning today from a lady. The following was our conversation.

(Phone rings)

Me: Hello

Lady: Hello

(Silence for around 30 seconds)

Me again: Hello ma'am.... May I know who is this?

Lady: Aap koun hai?

Me: Since you called it is only fair that you say first who you are?

(Silence again for another minute.... While I hold the line patiently, that was a big mistake!!!)

Lady: I want to talk to Rohit

Me: There is no Rohit here

Lady: Tum Joot bol rahe ho!!

(I was taken aback.... What the hell is happening here????)

Me: Why should I lie? What are you talking about?

Lady: I want to talk to Rohit.

Me: I think you have got the wrong number.... What number do you want?

Lady: I want Rohit's Number!

(I literally got furious at this answer)

Me (With a touch of impatience and lot of anger): I am busy.... Can you tell me what number you want?

Lady: I want Rohit's Number (said she.... With assertiveness and full confidence!!!)

(Now I lost it... completely)

Me (Spoke pointwise, though she could not see the numbers like this over phone):

Ma'am...

  1. I am not Rohit.
  2. Since I am not Rohit, this definitely is not Rohit's Number.
  3. Given that you were trying Rohit's Number and this unfortunately not being Rohit's Number is indicative of the fact that you have reached a wrong number.

(After all this... The lady says with so much cool....)

Lady: Acha.... Wrong number hai kya. Pehle bolne ka tha na???

Me (Now almost helpless): Yes Ma'am... I am sorry. I wont repeat this mistake again!

Lady: Acha theekh hai beta koi baath nahi.... (and she hangs up)

And I haven't been able to work thereafter!!!

Moral of the story: Please dont lift any call that is for Rohit... Could be very dangerous!

(By the way... Why do these things happen only to me??????)

4 comments:

Neha Adya said...

itna patience??? hats off to you boss! i would have hung up in first 30 seconds :D
-- Neha :-))

Ajai said...

It happened to you because Rohit wanted you to write something about him in your blog.

Shiv said...

@ Neha:

It wasn more of the lady's perseverence than my patience!

Shiv said...

@ Ajai:
Thanks... That kind of partially solves the puzzle!